Wednesday 17 June 2020

I love how the poet takes us on a rollercoaster of emotions in this poem. Its as if the whole thing is happening in front of our eyes, and my sigh of relief was real when the librarian enters.

Enjoy this lovely poem by Karthika Vinod, our reader from Oman:


Down in the library
Far, deep, not heard
There lied a book called ‘The Devil’
Unopened,left,as it was
As the name tells (or told)
Lies the dark spirit
Of untold grief, misery, pain, lies
Building up in it

I, thou once saw it
Rattling like bird’s mince pie
(I just told that,cause I hate it)
On the cover, it said
“Oi there, heed to this warning
Once you open,you can no way close it,
We told you,now fate is with you”
As I stared at it
A pang of curiosity and evil
Spread through me
And decided to open it

But, just like fate said
Mr. Naadan, the librarian
Rudely walked into
And spanked me for touching it
(Yeah,he is kind of merciless
If you ask me)
And as I put that book back
Did I realize,that ‘The Devil’ stay lonely on that shelf
With book neighbours and friends none,
And now still,
Lies that mysterious book
In the same place,
Far, deep, not heard in the library
Unopened and left as it was…




0 comments: