Monday 6 September 2021

 Dear Readers,


Sometimes, the lessons that we learn outside a classroom leave a significant impact on our lives. Let me tell you a story of an unlikely teacher who imparted a valuable lesson to me. One day while walking to the school with my mother, I met an old man sitting on the pavement. He was covered in dirty rags. He had a long beard and his face was a little dirty. But when he smiled I could not look past his beatific face. His beaming smile lit up his entire face. I could not help but smile back and said ‘namaste’ to him. As I passed by him, he said ‘beta ji, aise school jayoge!’ (is this how you will go to school).


‘Why, what is wrong?’, I was surprised at his question. ‘Look again’, he said and pointed at my shoes. I looked down and saw that my shiny shoes were all covered in mud as I had unknowingly stepped into a muddy puddle. I looked at my mum in fear and said, ‘the discipline committee will not let me enter the school, mom’. My mother looked worried too and started scanning her bag in search of a tissue. The saintly man spoke again, ‘I can help beta ji’. He swiftly tore a piece of his rag and gave it to me. ‘Use it, beta! Quickly clean your shoes and then run along, your school bell is just about to ring’, he said. 


I took the cloth and cleaned my shoes. ‘Why did you help me, baba?’, I asked after thanking him. The answer he gave has stayed with me since then, ‘Because I can, beta ji’. He smiled and asked me, ‘should I need a reason to help you’? I just looked at him and smiled back. My unlikely teacher had taught me a big life lesson with his unassuming ways and selfless love towards a fellow human being. Happy Teacher’s Day my unlikely teacher!


Enjoy the edition

Priyanka


www.mytcp.in








0 comments: