Monday 24 May 2021

 Hello readers,

An unlikely guest came to visit us yesterday. It was a very peculiar looking Glossy Ibis with a shiny black body that had hints of blue all over, piercing eyes, long spindly legs, and an extraordinary voice. In fact, it was the sound that drew my attention. I was on the terrace desperately trying my hand at an inscrutable yoga pose when I heard a raspy guttural grunt that was not pleasing at all but was certainly interesting. I looked around to see where it was coming from. It was then that our eyes met, and an unlikely enmity formed. It knew it was a magnificent creature and I felt it challenged me to prove my magnificence. I gladly left my yoga mat and walked slowly towards this beast. We surveyed each other oddly. I decided to stop at a safe distance to not disturb its ‘zone of safety’ and keep the hair on my head safe.
It waited for some time and then tilted its head. Taking the gesture as a clear indication of a dance-off, I tilted my head too. It then tucked one of its legs under its feather. Not wanting to be outdone, I tried to balance on one leg too. The beast certainly had a lot to say, it suddenly ruffled its feathers. I flapped my t-shirt to let the bird know that I definitely am no novice in this challenge. It then started pecking on some insects and making the same guttural noise. Not wanting the bird to have the last word, I started to peck too (ughh! no, not insects!) in the air and made the only bird sound that I knew – Caw-Caw.
Just then the terrace door opened and in came my entire family. I looked at them with my head still tilted, balancing on one leg, pecking, and cawing. ‘Dear Lord, what happened to you?’, said my family. I looked at the bird, hoping it would help me with an explanation. But the traitor deserted me in my time of need and fluttered away. My family’s faces had clearly established that it had won.
Enjoy the edition!
Priyanka
www.mytcp.in



0 comments: